Wednesday 23 November 2011

Front Brake


The front bake was pretty poor so I decided it was best to strip it down for a look if it was to have any hope of getting through an MOT and more importantly, stopping the bike.



As you can see, the braking system was full of gunk and the master cylinder was no better, so got out the old wallet and bought new piston, seals and master cylinder rebuild kit from Yambits on ebay. They were really quick and very knowledgeable (as I found out after buying the wrong size kit! Duh!).


Bling!!! I may have got a little carried away with the dremel but I think it looks alot better just as brushed alloy, so i did the same to the master cylinder housing too. I hope I have fitted the circlip on the seal correctly, please tell me if I havent!!!


Here it is full rebuilt and ready to go back on the bike. I have swapped the (gaylooking) original bars for my old bandit ones. The grips that came with the bike were hideous and felt like holding two soggy cucumbers so I put the trusty old bandit grips on too. I had to cut the plastic throttle twisty bit (technical term) down a bit as the bandito bars dont have alot of room on them.


I think it looks miles better like this, though it does make it a little cramped getting the brake line round. I've also got most of the engine back together, just want to check the valve clearances before I shut it all up. Thanks to my Dad for helping rivet the cam chain back on, I'll wait till its running before I trust him to do it again...


Cannot wait to fire this baby up!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice work mate, still chuckling to myself thinking about you attacking it in a trance with a dremel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to be the first shed engineer to need a welding mask for using a dremel!!!

    Booyah on the progress mate. Here, have some tiddies:

    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lixeungB5w1qzzwkfo1_500.jpg

    ReplyDelete