Tuesday 9 October 2012

Gusset time

Decided it was time to get rid of those crappy stock neck gussets and replace them with something of my own.


I cut out the old gussets and trimmed off other ugly bits and bobs and cleaned up with the flapper disc


Next I made a cardboard template (standard!) of what I wanted. I even remembered to put the coil in place to make sure the new gusset didn't clash  - how thoughtful of me :)


 Finally I cut my shape out of 3mm steel plate and carefully balanced it in position with some magnets.


That's as far as I got tonight, obviously I will need to make a matching bracket for the other side. But the tricky bit is going to be the tank mounts. I have decided to rubber mount the front of the tank using hidden bungs like the original tank. Hence the big blank space on the gusset - this is where the 'c' cup is going to mount, that will support the rubber bung on the tank.

Not the easiest method by far, but who wants to do things the easy way?! That would be boring!?

1 comment: