Tuesday 10 September 2013

Getting it ready for the trip out!

Right, in prep for the trip out this weekend I rode the little chopper over to my girlfriends (about 50 miles away!) and the rear brake went about 1 mile from her house...





As you can see its pretty well fubarred!! As far as I could tell it was down to the fixing bolt coming out of the rear brake stay arm. So the rest of the damage had been done as a result of the rear hub trying to spin around. 

So to get the bike home again I just took the rear brake pedal off it completely. This made for one tricky mornings work a-thon!! 

Even so I got the bike home that evening (Thursday) and had one night to get it back on the road. Bring it on! I thought... Hmmm, took quite a while in the end!

Stripped the rear brake down into its basic parts and decided that I needed to remake the linkage and the brake lever. So I stripped down the rear linkage rod and made a new threaded bung for some M6 thread to sit in...



That was before. After I had a new threaded and machined bung for both the 6mm bar and M6 bar to sit in. Next up was the brake lever arm. It was chewed at the ends but I figured that I could cope with it for now.



So as the original one was shaped like a banana I decided to remake it out of 15mm bar.



Tacked;



Welded;



So now the rear brake assembly could be rebuilt, with new fixing, washers, etc, and a couple of new parts.





Eeek!! What a little bugger! When you looked closely at the broken joint you could see that there was less room than originally thought. But as it was late on Thursday, I just decided to bodge it!

No comments:

Post a Comment