Tuesday 5 November 2013

Tank mounting

Its been a while! Partly because I was in the shed every night over the summer, GTA 5 has come out, and I have been tinkering with my dad's bike and my bandit, so left the chopper alone for a little while.

Anyways as Im sure you have noticed Winter is here and I have a list of niggles and issues to sort out for next year.

So I went in the shed last night for a few hours, didn't get far but made a start adjusting the tank. Basically even though the rear mount looks nice with the seat/tank sitting on the same mount, it doesn't work all that well. If you have it tightened up so that the tank doesn't vibrate - the seat bracket bends rather than rotates. And if you slacken it off until the seat can move freely, the tank makes a scary amount of noise!

Firstly then I removed the rear brackets and saw just how much bodging my dad had covered up with the filler!



In my head I thought I could get away with a fairly typical threaded mount in the top tube, but there is no where near enough room!



So I decided that an under-tank mount is required. Again though, this is an already busy area - with lots of wires, fuel pipe, crank breather etc all in close proximity.





Also you can see the fuel tap is right in the bloody way! Anyways that is as far as I got last night, just lots of thinking and lining up for now, but I think that I shall use a sort of tube arrangement under the rear of the tank, so i can slot a long bolt through a corresponding tube welded under the top frame tube..

Thoughts and other solutions appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment