Friday 13 December 2013

Bits and bobs

Been tinkering on both bikes this week. The front right caliper on the bandit was leaking, even though it managed to get through its last MOT with no problem, it didn't inspire stopping power confidence!!

It wasnt a big job, especially as I found some spare seals that I had left over from when i was building the bike, so I whipped the caliper off and had a look.


I cleaned it all up, there was nothing clearly wrong, but a bit of much or paint under the seal could be enough to let some fluid pass under hard breaking.



I re-greased/lubed everything up as necessary and put it all back together. Bled the brake system and hey-presto the bike seems to be able to stop without weeping!


I was tempted to start making new headlight mounting brackets, to pull the new unit closer to the frame, but then I thought that if I get a new dash setup for it I would have to do this anyway so I just left it as is for now.


So that's the bandit for now. Just needs taking for an MOT! Pulled the neglected XS out of its corner and made a start on the to-do list on the wall. First up was taking the front mudguard off and tidying the cables.


Yes, it is just a bit of wire twisted round the cables! Held on by the two fender mounting points.


A lick of black paint and hopefully it will be invisible.

Next I decided to tackle to rear fender. As when the chain gets slack it catches quite badly!


So the plan is to extend the cut-out up about an inch to hopefully prevent future damage to the paintwork! I marked up and cut out a piece with the angle grinder.


Next I need to reinforce the edge with some 5mm steel bar. I've got a little curve ready to be welded in, just need to go and pick up some new argon first!

No comments:

Post a Comment