Monday 23 December 2013

Sissy bar mounting mark 3!!

Ok so I got the extension to the cut-out section of the rear mudguard welded up and cleaned up;


Next was to tackle the way it mounts up to the sissy bar. This is the current set up;


And the little 'tabs' off the fender are the weak point; I've already had to weld one side up! So I chopped them off and removed a thin piece of metal that acted as a sort of reinforcement to the fender.


This gave me the idea to add some reinforcement of my own! So I grabbed a piece of 5x20mm steel flat bar and after much huffing, puffing and hanging off it in the vice I came up with a piece that matched the shape of the fender;


Welded in;


Then I turned up and tapped some M8 bungs to weld into the mudguard, and through into the reinforcement bar. The pictures will explain better;


 

This provided a near invisible connection in the fender itself, but with plenty of 'under the hood' support. To finish it off I chopped the old mounting points off the sissy bar and added some simple washers.



Needs cleaning up a bit but I'm pleased with the result. Should also provide ample strength to support a pillion or luggage attachment!


1 comment: