Tuesday 7 January 2014

Keep ticking things off...

Right, after some fiddling about I decided to make another lid for the battery. Mainly because it would be a fiddly pain in the arse to fasten the leads through the existing lid, but also because I didn't make it deep enough to cover the battery at the back (duh!). So I decided that the best way to fasten the leads through the lid was to avoid it all together, and just give the lid a big enough overhang so the wires can sit under it.

The new lid;







Ta-da! Shouldn't have any problem wiring that up now so I can tick it off the list.

Next up was re-mounting the exhausts. The current set up is poor because the mounting holes are in the wrong place, and also its a real pain in the arse to get fixing in because of the curvature of the exhaust itself. So I decided to mount them in a similar location, but with a vertical tab that mounts to a threaded connection on the frame.

Existing mounts (baaad boooo!!)



Threaded connections tacked in place in the frame



The tabs I made from 3mm steel. I just drilled a large hole for now;



Tacked in place on the bike;



The zip tie you can see is holding the exhaust in position.

Welded up;



When I put the exhausts back onto the bike after welding, the holes didn't line up with the fixing holes on the frame. But I had predicted this happening and made the brackets with plenty of meat so that after a quick grind with the Dremel they fit fine.

Unfortunately my phone ran out of battery at that point so I couldn't take any final pics of it mounted  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment