Monday 24 September 2012

Bandit Engine

Poor old neglected Bandit. My first project has been sat for six months pushed to one side while Ive tinkered with the XS. So it was time to sort things out. The bike was running, but not running well, sometimes on all cylinders and some times only on three. A compression test showed it to be very low across all four. Fair enough considering its done over 60,000 miles, but I didnt want to pour even more cash into an old knackered engine.

Luck would have it, I found a complete top end at Newark for the bargain price of £20!! So the plan is to completely swap out the old for the (not-so-new) top end, pistons, barrels and all. And fingers crossed it will pump some life back into the old girl.


I have spent a long time cleaning up the 2nd hand top end I plan to use. And while I was at it I thought that I might as well paint it.


Im now at the stage where I have the old engine out of the bike and stripped down to its rude bits, eagerly awaiting its younger and refreshed new counter part. Just got a few more bits to tidy up, then it can all go back together, and I can find out if this has all been a complete waste of time and precious Dremel bits!!


No comments:

Post a Comment