Tuesday 18 September 2012

Sissy bar

I did eventually finish the sissy bar for the Triumph. I used 10mm stainless steel bar (316) and used a propane torch to heat up where I wanted to bend it. Using my filler rod template and lots of TLAR ("that looks bout right") measurements I bent the bar around a round file clamped in a vice.
 

After lots of holding it up to the bike and tweaking bits I eventually got a shape that I was satisfied with.

 

Next up was to weld on the lugs that I had made. Holding them in place against the round bar was tricky, especially as its not magnetic! So tape and props were used...


There was a pair of longer tabs and shorter tabs and like a birk I welded the shorter ones in the wrong place dammit! But fortunately I realized that I could still get away with it if I opened the holes up a bit more. Also it seemed to pull the bar in nice and tight next to the rear sub-frame. So the mistake turned out to be a winner!


Here it is finished on the bike. Im cutting out a few steps and several hours of rubbing, smoothing, polishing, to get a nice finish on it to go with the rest of the bike.



All in all I am really pleased with my first sissy bar! And I have since road tested it with bags/tents etc strapped to it with great succes :) Just got to find a willing volunteer to properly pillion test it!!

1 comment:

  1. Confidently followed behind to the trip out. Stirling work mr T!

    ReplyDelete