Sunday 3 March 2013

Battery box

I warmed myself up by finishing off the new stainless steel rear brake linkage that I've been working on in between other stuff

Then I thought I'd best stop avoiding the hard stuff and started work on my battery box. I've not quite worked all the details out like what route the wires are going to take. But I thought a good place to start would be the main 'box' part.

There isn't much room in the frame either way I sit the battery, so I wanted to make it as snug as possible. I measured the battery up and cut the bits out of 2mm sheet

Then bit by bit I tacked it together using some magnetic angles to make everything square. Before I tackled the welding proper, I decided that some extra stickers on my mask would improve my skills.

And it fits the battery like a glove. Thing I'm not sure about now is which way to orientate it in the bike.

I think I'll put it in line with the frame, as it keeps the battery as far away from moving parts as possible, and if I'm clever I could make it so that I can tip the battery over and slide it out without having to remove the electrics box above it (I would have to remove the brake linkage mind).
















No comments:

Post a Comment