Monday 25 March 2013

Fun with frames

Right, after much umming and arring I tackled the frame problem today. I stuck a straight edge down each side and it seems that the frame was warped fairly evenly on both sides.

I couldn't apply the heat to all the joints at the same time, so I used the propane torch to heat each bit individually until it was red hot, then left it to cool.

Once it had all cooled, I put the trolley jack in and cranked it open. I was worried about it stretching out more on one side than the other, so i kept tweaking it a bit at a time and releasing the jack so I could check the measurements.

I got it back to 8.25" but it had straightened out on one side and not the other, so I reheated the other side and tweaked it out that last bit.

I put the rear wheel, chain and engine back on and all seems ok so fingers crossed, things are back on track (or as near as makes a difference!)





1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that you sorted it without too much grief!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete