Tuesday 19 March 2013

Oops

Right, update time

I welded some brackets to the bottom of the battery box to provide some fixing points.

I decided to support it on two seperate 5mm cross plates rather than one big shelf. I think this will make it easier to get the battery out without dismantling the rest of the bike and also reduce the chance of water pooling if its wet.

Once they were welded in place I drilled out the holes and drilled it for mounting the battery box.

Now that was all well and good but little did I know of a major problem that I had incurred. As I had stripped the frame down to mount the battery box I decided that it was a good opportunity to weld up all the bits I had tacked in place and clean them up with some dreamel lovin.

Unfortunately though I had welded the cross members in without bracing the rear axle plates. I didn't realise that the frame had warped until I tried to put the bike back together tonight. The rear wheel fit but there was no way the spacer would go in too. So I got the ruler out.

It's supposed to be 8.5" and it's measuring just under 8"!!! I looked at the TC Bros instructions and it concluded my fears that I should have braced the frame to avoid warping when welding the cross members in place.

Now i need to work out if its salvageable or if I've completely fooked it :/







No comments:

Post a Comment