Monday 15 April 2013

Fake oil tank

I've been chipping away at making the electrics box over the last few weeks. I wanted to make a bit of a Harley style horse shoe shape fake oil tank. So to begin with I made some rough measurements and bent up a sheet of 1mm steel on the sheet roller.



I kept trimming it down until I had the shape I wanted and then I used it as a template to make the final piece out of 2mm sheet



Once I'd got the curve, I could use it to mark out the top and bottom pieces, which I cut out of 3mm sheet, for a bit of extra rigidity



I needed to make an access hatch, so I cut a door out of the top piece, and then welded a sort of step all of the way round the opening for the door to sit on.



Tacked it all together;



Mocked up on the bike;





It's been a bit of a hassle to make, but I think it's looking we'll so far. Next I need to mount it to the frame, and sort the door on the access hatch. Weather is starting to get better, I need to pull my finger out and pick up the pace!!

No comments:

Post a Comment