Monday 22 July 2013

Busy weekend!

I finished up the repair on the rear fender strut;



but guess what - the other one has gone now. Not unexpected really, when the bike is warming up with the choke on the fender shakes quite alot. I guess this is my own fault for just having the one mount at the bottom of the frame.. but it felt so sturdy! Think I'm going to have to make another mount somewhere behind the seat to add some more support.

Also swapped the yellow MOT plate for a printed black and silver one..



Look loooads better - and its TOTALLY LEGIT so get off my case alright?!  :o :o ;)  Had to change the plate lights though, the cheap little LED oned that I had originally wired in snapped while tightening them up, so luckily I had another light with a bulb in it that I had bought from low-brow ages ago...



Using this was actually quite beneficial as it only has one wire that needs connecting up, rather than the four I had to sort on the LED's.

Modified the stock kickstand - it wasnt locking out in a forward enough position so could snap back too easily. Also it snapped back onto the frame - CLANG! so I screwed a little rubber bung on there to soften the blow...



Seat springs - I felt like I was sliding off the back of the seat with the 2" springs I had on there originally - changed them up for some 3" ones. Feels alot safer!





Thought they might ruin the look but you can hardly tell really!

And finally... I painted the letters on my Firestones because lets face it - thats the reason you buy them!!



Busy weekend? That was just my Saturday!! Rode the bike over to a friends on saturday night for a BBQ, it ran OK and pulled through all the gears, though not as responsive as it should be - but I still had the stock jets in at this point. Also after setting off it would give me a few minutes before cutting out, then I had to just let it rest for 30 seconds before firing it up again... it would do this a couple of times then seem to be OK.

So Sunday I took the carbs off again and increased the main and pilot jet by one size from stock and took it for a quick spin. You could tell it was running alot better straight away - its alot more responsive and actually puts some power down when you open it up.

Still with me? Tired yet?? As Im planning on riding this to the Hay-ride next weekend, and my dad is going on his 1950 Thinderbird, we need some luggage space because at the moment we have none, and back-packs are not fun for 250 miles!! So we got stuck in and made a very basic rack for the back of his bike, as its got lots of nice fixing points.





Just used some 20x5mm flat bar I had lying around, doesnt look very pretty but should do the trick!

Sorry for the mega-post, as you can see I didnt sit still over the weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment