Tuesday 2 July 2013

More wiring....

Been hammering at it this weekend trying to get the bike closer to complete. This might seem a little jumbled as I was jumping around doing all sorts. I put the sealant in the tank Saturday morning so that's drying off now, only a couple of little holes in my welding, hopefully nothing the sealant cant cope with!

Then I made a mount for my number plate. I have bought a totally legit and legal black and silver small stamped plate to go on the back (and a big ugly yellow one for the MOT), so I made a mount for that. Used a trusty cardboard template to make a bracket that will mount it off the rear axle.





To light the plate I've got two little LED bolts, and the tail light is something that I liked the look of on eGay



Then I spent most of yesterday on the wiring. I drilled the necessary holes in the electrics box for the key switch, starter button and kill switch. I then wired up to all these bits before starting on the lighting circuit. Man I didn't realize how complicated the lights would be! Probably more complex and confusing that the running circuit...!

There is a nice clunky light switch in that old-style headlight that I want to use, that was a total bugger to wire up - and the contacts in the headlight bulb are really sketchy and dont always give a good connection.



For the horn and high beam ive got a little 'Ducon' replica thing on the handlebars;



I also incorporated the front and rear brake light switches into the circuit. Amazingly I'd managed to buy a universal switch for the front brake lever that fits perfectly (never happens right??!!) but the rear I had to get a bit more creative. I drilled and tapped a hole through the rear axle plates and mounted a little pull switch onto the inside of it. Something I've copied off XS650.com





So with all that junk on the bike now looks a total mess!! Not impressed with the amount of wiring needed all over the bloody thing! Even if I went kick only - wouldnt actually make that much difference to the loom, the lighting circuit swamps everything. So next task has to be trying to tidy all of this up, probably drilling some little holes in the rear frame rails to hide the wires going to the tail light and rear brake switch...



Back in the shed tonight!!

2 comments:

  1. Looking sweet. Real initiative thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers man, looks like your's isnt far off either!!

    ReplyDelete