Friday 28 June 2013

Things to do...

Right, the plan has been for a long time to ride this bike down to the Hotrod Hay-Ride which is on the last weekend in July. This means that I have 4 weeks to get it done, and in that time it needs an MOT!!

So, time to pull my finger out, Ive got a long list of things to finish off, some major, some minor, but Ive roughly worked out that there is at least a weeks work (40hrs) to get it something like.

Over the last few nights Ive been working on two things - sealing the tank and making some new axle adjusters. The stock ones are too wide for the axle plates on the TCBro's hardtail - so I made some new skinnier and shorter ones.










They fit nice round the axle plates, but as you can see the axle is a bit over-long. A quick measurement shows that I need about a 7mm spacer on either side. But this will have to wait for another day...

As for sealing the tank, I got this kit for about £40;



First step is the 'Marine Clean'. Basically mix it with hot water and shake about inside the tank, I left it in there overnight and the inside looked like this;



Then is the 'Prep & Ready' which is supposed to remove the surface rust. Left this in for about three hours, regularly shaking the tank and leaving it in different orientations. This is what the inside looked like after;



Finally I rinsed it out and blasted it with a hot-air gun to dry out the inside. The tank needs to be totally dry for the sealer to stick properly.



But that's as far as I got last night, I'll add the sealer on Saturday and finish the axle plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment