Wednesday 17 July 2013

MOT PASS!!

Chuffed to bits! I'd taken the friday and monday off work to get it done, and my dad did the same to lend a hand. Was working right upto the last minute though, and was 30 mins late to the test! No advisories, though the headlight didnt work (side and full beam did) but he said that as it looked like I had made decent job of everything else, he knew I would fix it when I got home - what a lad!I cant list all of the little jobs I had to get done for MOT, needledd to say there was lots of tightening bolts and lock-tight! here's some pics of it without the big yellow plate on it...




And in the interest of the recent size/weight/riding position debate; here is me sat on it (please excuse the clothes - it was very warm!)


I put the stock front mudguard on it also for the MOT - Im not sure if you actually need one, but it had the added incentive of providing a fixing point for the speedo and front brake cables.

It got me there and back but was quite reluctant! Its a bitch to get started - the choke doenst work - and it seems that I have to cover the air filters up to get it to fire. It cut out on me quite alot when I stopped at junctions unless I kept feathering the throttle. Also coughs and pops alot!!
Ive increased the main and pilot jet sizes in the carbs, as per the general consensus on XS650.com for this set-up. (+1 pilot, +2 main jet). But now Im thinking it would be a good idea to go back to stock and start from there. The other issue is that the choke has never worked on this bike. I have had the carbs apart and cleaned etc, but still choke doesnt work. Im wondering if maybe the diaphragms are fooked....

Anyways, I am chuffed to bits and riding it was a blast! But my to-do list seems to be twice as long since before the MOT! Still lots to tweak before its a reliable road bike.

Quick vid of it running;

Video

4 comments:

  1. Good news chap! So do you think it'll get you to Bisley!!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats the plan! Got to ride it round as much as possible over the next week to iron out any issues. Hope you dont mind I've got your number from TC but Ive left it at home so I'll get in touch later...

      Delete
    2. No probs. Talk soon.


      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Been following your build for some time. Congratulations on a great looking machine.

    ReplyDelete