Tuesday 15 January 2013

Little and often

I've been enjoying short stints in the shed recently, I feel like I gt a lot more done in an hour and a half than I do in four some times!

So last night I wanted to get the headlight mounts in place. I thought a lot about how I was going to line it up, and decided that I should tack something between the plates to maintain the spacing and squareness.

I spent ages lining this contraption up! Basically I'm holding the plates square while I tack a 170mm long bar in between them, to replicate the width of the headlight. That made things a lot easier when I held it up to the bike, but even then it was hard trying to get the thing central and level. Anyways after lots more faffing I committed and tacked the mounts to the fork sleeves.

Then I chopped the bar out so I could try the headlight in place.

Tonight I took them off the bike and welded them up. The inside seam towards the headlight went ok, but welding up the other edge was tricky as I had put too much of a chamfer on it so there was an awkward gap to fill.

That's it for now, next time I've got a date with the dremel and some carbide burrs!











No comments:

Post a Comment